Close this search box.


What To Do When Your Spouse Turns Your Child Against You

what to do when your spouse turns your child against you

Children are typically not the ones asking their parents to split up, so divorce can be a scary and very unsettling situation for them if not handled carefully.

Parental Alienation; a parent’s worst nightmare when they are already leaving a spouse and that spouse is trying to take the child with them by manipulating their feelings.

We have outlined some tips if you suspect that your spouse is turning your child against you.

Know the Signs

The biggest sign we can advise of is when inappropriate comments start either in person or online via social media, emails and blogs.

We all know it’s easy to hide behind a screen and making accusations or comments about a soon-to-be ex-spouse online does not typically bode well with judges.

In order to ensure you have proof of this badmouthing, it’s important to have screenshots with timestamps as evidence.

The other sign to keep in mind is sly comments being said to friends, family or even your shared child. In situations like this it is a key sign that your partner may be trying to alienate you from your children.

Don’t Wait & Do Not Be Defensive

If you feel it’s happening, it’s best to act now and not give any extra time for more alienation to occur.

Do not confront your partner as this will give them another situation they can pass on and twist to your child to make you look like the bad parent.

Do Not Give In To The Need For Approval From Your Children

It may sound strange, but it’s important to not give into the need for approval from your child.

Once you need your children to approve of you then you have given your power away to them and, even more so, to the other parent.

You are their parent and will always have their best interest at heart, whether they see it as good or bad. In these situations, it’s best to have the support system in place to keep ensuring you that you are doing the right thing.


If you are getting a divorce be sure to contact us for a free 30-minute consultation, to ensure that your children are not being alienated from you.

Although you might feel like you don’t need a lawyer for your divorce, it’s best to connect with one to ensure that you aren’t subject to any legal implications if a spouse does not sign divorce papers.

This blog is made available by the law firm publisher, Epstein & Associates, for educational purposes. It provides general information and a general understanding of the law but does not provide specific legal advice. Any specific questions about your legal concerns please contact us now and speak to an expert today.