Close this search box.


My Spouse Got Laid Off: What Happens to My Child Support?

My Spouse Got Laid Off: What Happens to My Child Support?

At the point when you lose your employment, you likely will need to shift child support. The measure of child support should change dependent on your salary. 

You will need to ensure that you address the change in your income quickly and before any enforcement procedures are taken. Along these lines, it’s imperative to book a consultation with legal counsel to determine what legal options you may have. 

Family legal counsel can help with: 

  • comprehending the Child Support Guidelines 
  • ascertaining the measure of child support 
  • offering lawful guidance regarding the guidelines
  • ascertaining unique or exceptional costs

On the off chance that you have been harmed at work and can’t work, your family law attorney can assist you with introducing your case and making a bid to reduce your support commitments. This is dependent upon the seriousness of your injuries. The court has perceived that individual injury influences an individual’s capacity to earn.

Here at Epstein, we can assist you with ascertaining the child support amount by using advanced technology and helping calculate that new amount based on your case’s factors.

Important Insights About Child Support  

It is important to note that a change in the income of the parent receiving support is generally not a reason to change the separation agreement or court order. This is because that parent’s income is usually not taken into account when deciding how much child support should be paid, this is unless there is a true shared parenting arrangement.

Having said that, where a payor’s income has been reduced by no fault of his/her own, there is usually grounds for a reduction in support payments.  If you and your partner cannot agree, you may have to go to court to bring a Motion to Change. A motion to change is the name of the court process used to ask a judge to make changes to support in your separation agreement or previous court order.

You can talk to a lawyer who can tell you if facts exist that may convince a judge that your separation agreement or court order should be changed. Epstein Law offers a free 30-minute consultation to help ease your fears and get the justice you deserve. Contact us today for more information.